California Attorney Resources
We welcome judges, attorneys, and paralegals to our California Attorney Resources page. Matthew Bruhin & Associates has made a significant effort to reach out and support the needs of legal professionals, as they attempt to serve those who are involved in the legal system. Drug & alcohol affects almost every family, workplace, and society in general. This in turn, involves family law, criminal law, and civil law cases all over the country. Below are a few staggering statistics that shed light on the need for proper addiction evaluation & treatment:
- According to the Uniform Crime Reporting Program (UCRP) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), there were almost 1.7 million state and local arrests for drug abuse violations in 2009.
- According to the Department of Justice (DOJ), 37% of almost 2 million convicted offenders currently in jail, report that they were drinking at the time of their arrest.
- In 2007, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs which represents less than 1% of 159 million self-reported incidents of alcohol-impaired driving in U.S. each year.
- Each year, more than 600,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.
- 95% of all violent crime on college campuses involves the use of alcohol by the assailant, victim or both.
- 90% of acquaintance rape and sexual assault on college campuses involves the use of alcohol by the assailant, victim or both.
- Every day, 36 people die, and approximately 700 are injured, in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. Drinking and drugged driving is the number one cause of death, injury and disability of young people under the age of 21.
- FACT: 3 million adults (36% being under correctional supervision) had been drinking at the time of their conviction
- The US Department of Justice (DOJ) estimated that a majority of criminal offenders were under the influence of alcohol alone when they committed their crimes.
- Federal research shows that for the 40% of convicted murderers being held in either jail or State prison, alcohol use was a factor in the homicide.
- FACT: In 40% of violent crimes, alcohol is considered a factor
- Approximately 3 million violent crimes that are influenced by alcohol happen each year. Some of these crimes include: rape, robbery, aggravated assault, sexual assault, and more. About two-thirds of these crimes are classified as assaults.
- Based on reports from victims, alcohol consumption by the offender played a role in: 37% of sexual assaults and rapes, 15% of theft and robberies, 25% of assaults, and 27% of cases of aggravated assault
- Alcohol is most commonly a factor in violence between a victim and offender who already know one another. Nearly two-thirds of all victims attacked by a partner (such as a current or former spouse) have reported that alcohol was involved. About 31% of violence between strangers is influenced by alcohol use.
- Approximately 500,000 incidents between intimate partners are influenced by drinking. About 118,000 occasions of domestic or family violence excluding spouses involve alcohol. Nearly 744,000 incidents between acquaintances were affected by alcohol consumption.
- 4 million violent incidents influenced by drinking are committed against strangers.
- People under the age of 21 are the victims of alcohol-related violence in about 13% of cases, and are the offenders in approximately 9% of incidents.
- Most alcohol-related violence (about 70%) occurs after 11:00 p.m. and 20% of these incidents also involve the use of a weapon.
The link between addiction and crime is present and obvious. As those in the legal field well know, a good portion of cases sitting on legal desks in courtrooms across America, do involve substance abuse. Now, here is where Matthew Bruhin & Associates fits in; not only do we provide top level treatment and referrals, we are skilled at AOD (alcohol and other drugs) evaluations. In fact, we have helped countless attorneys and clients across the US better represent their cases, with more favorable outcomes, due to the effort and precision of our work.
Our evaluations begin with formal addiction inventory testing. We then gain collateral support, gather facts including appropriate interviews for character support, review of legal documents and supporting clinical documents, procure state of the art UA or Hair testing if needed. This random sampling provides additional objective support to our evaluation. After collection of facts, we look at how addiction has, or is, currently affecting the individual dealing with the legal system. We then render a precise and well-formulated, multi-faceted evaluation, that always comes with treatment recommendations and referrals if necessary.
During the past 5 years we have had the opportunity to help clients being evaluated, their families, and their attorneys have just some of these following successful outcomes:
- Successful avoidance of third strike and life incarceration with release into 1 year substance abuse treatment program
- Stopping imminent revocation of permanent residency status and deportation, with release into a long term rehab program.
- Deferred sentencing on 3rd DUI case ending in no jail stay with completed counseling program
- Successful re-gaining of custody for father after completion of porn addiction counseling and report.
- 3 separate nursing license cases with all licensees maintaining licensure due to chemical dependency evaluations utilized with State Nursing Board
- Dental Board allegations refuted and license stayed due to evaluation
- Removal of formal probation due to evaluation
- Summary probation waived due to entering into formal treatment with Matthew Bruhin & Associates
We provide the very finest in customized, confidential, and effective treatment and evaluation in San Diego, California, and US areas, for all addictive disorders. We also can provide expert testimony, linking and referral services, as well as any other support needed to assist with your case. We offer credit card and payment plan options, and work closely with all legal teams and professionals. If you require any help in assisting with your case, do not hesitate to contact out office and allow Matthew Bruhin & Associates to make the difference in your case.
Attorney references available upon request